Friday, May 18, 2007

More than just a trip to Cairns

OK, so here it is. Especially for Shannyn, cos I’m sure that since I haven’t been updating as regularly as I used to, my blog readership is suffering drastically. So Shannyn (and anyone else who still visits this page) ... enjoy!

So I’ve been in Cairns for the last few days. Palm Cove to be exact. The flight in was rather smooth. An air stewardess comments on my Thirsty Merc t-shirt and tells me that one of the band members had flown with Virgin Blue recently. I wonder if that’s true. And if there is any way of finding that out.

I reflect on how flying is such a strange phenomenon. To think that you can get inside this little capsule and be hurled through the sky to the other end of the country and come out and feel like it was no real distance that was travelled. I open my drink bottle at mid-flight. When the plane starts to descend, I go to open it again, and I notice that my drink bottle is all crumpled. My mind starts whirring about differences in air pressures and how there is a lower pressure in the bottle at a higher altitude, but then I wonder if cabin pressure would cancel out such altitudinal differences. I conclude apparently not.

Then I land and Chris is there. Chris used to attend my church but moved to Cairns to recover from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. We just talked on Skype the night before so it doesn’t seem like so long since I’ve seen him. We chat away about the last 24 hours and the few days ahead we have to hang out, how his chronic fatigue is going. And I start to realize I’m here and how much I’m hanging out for these next few days with my friend. And I know he will challenge my own walk with the Lord, as I trust I will refresh him.

And, can I just say, not by way of rubbing it in, but by way of thankfulness to God, that I am utterly loving it here. I could put it down to the jogs by the beach, the lazing on the sand to the sound of the waves washing up on the ocean. It might even be the coffees near the water, or the warm temperature (OK, so those things are rubbing it in…I realize that!). But I think most of all it’s the time of refreshment I get with Chris. He really does challenge me to be Christ-like. To live in the fullness of grace. To simply have faith and believe. To learn what it means to be forgiven. To realize the depth of my own sinfulness. To learn what it means to have a contrite heart. We talk about brokenness and how everyone is filled with something…and we talk about being filled with God. We talk about humility and waiting upon the Lord. We speak about loving God with all our heart. We talk about helping others to love God more, and setting others hearts on fire with the love of Christ burning deeply within them. We talk about growing in godliness and forming good habits, and trusting in God. We talk about how people love doctrine but neglect God. I’m challenged to not just love the doctrine of justification, but to love the One Who Justifies. I’m challenged yet again about my own pride and selfishness and need to believe myself dead to sin in Christ. To depend upon Him as dying to sin for me, and to look upon myself as dead to sin in Him. We talk about how we trust Him for salvation, but we trust Him for so little beyond salvation. We talk about how the Lord wounds and also heals. We talk a lot about things that are on my heart at the moment. We talk about God’s sovereignty, how He hurts us where it’s precious to us, so that we will hand over every single area of our life to Him. We talk about giving up precious dreams by faith. We talk about how we don't have to hang onto things if we are in Christ. We talk about how desiring in God actually changes our desires. We talk about how the notion of 'I feel, therefore I am' is such a lie. We talk about prayer and telling God how we feel. And handing all over to the Lord. We talk about abiding in Christ. We talk about the Puritans. And Luther. And Calvin. And Spurgeon. And Romans. And Galatians. And complacent Christians. Above all we talk about being IN CHRIST, the paradigm for my life which I keep coming back to again and again and again.

So yeah, you can see why I love spending time with Chris, and how refreshing it is to be with a brother who sees me through the eyes of Christ, warts and all. A man of God who encourages me to love God more. God bless him!

Too much info Shannyn? :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great! I'm jealous. It's raining here so I'm kinda wishing I was somewhere warmer and on holidays!!! Hope you're nice and relaxed.

Anonymous said...

No Dave, not too much info. It was just right, but you made me cry AGAIN! (Silly little crying girl!)

You have me intrigued about the bottle thing on the plane though. I will have to try it when I go to Fraser.

P.S Thanks for making me feel special, a post just for me! O.K it wasn't just for me, but at least I got a special mention ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow Misty that sounds like a pretty intense week(?). Some of those topics sound really interesting... will have to chat to you about them when I see you next.

Also the temperature might have had an effect on the bottle, not just the pressure. Before we concluded anything though let me ask you a question... did your ears "pop" during the flight? (This signals air pressure differences)... If they didn't you may need to look for another reason for the coke bottle scrunchiness...

JT said...

I just listened to a seron of your on Ruth 1 - and wanted to thank you so much for it! God was beautifully using it to touch me where I just needed it at the moment. He is so good.

Hope you are well, mate. :)

Anonymous said...

what a blessing to have such friends hey!
and what a great post - thank you for sharing!
Its a great post not just because it is just so encouraging to hear how brothers in Christ challenge each other, but also because it made me think about some of those things too!

Anonymous said...

What a week in Gods word, you described it how it was and i was blown away by the amount of fellowship we got thruogh. I know i can be a bit intense , so you did well to put up with me at times. But as Gods goal is perfect love for his people in the telos , our time was a deepening of Gods purpose and he leaves us with our faulty personalities for that very reason to love as Christ loved us .This action is going on at all times it is only after the event that we reflect and see his perfecting work . My Father is always working and jesus says he is always woking . God bless Chris