Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Wounds of a Friend

Tonight I was talking to a close friend of mine and he pointed out some home truths to me about myself. They are things I’ve known about myself but I don’t like. And to hear him articulate them was rather unsettling and a little scary.

It made me realise- after leading a Bible study tonight on the subject of 'thankfulness'- that trustworthy friends are something to be cherished. Having a friend who is courageous enough to point out things that no one else does is a thing to be treasured.

At first I just wanted to cut the conversation short and hang up. But then I realised ‘this is actually really good for me.’ I really valued my friend’s honesty tonight. The wounds of a faithful friend are precious. The hard part was letting my friend inside to say things to me that no one else can, when deep down inside, I was really quite terrified. But I can only grow and move forward in my relationship with Christ now.

I know that this friend accepts me for who I am- a fallen human being in Christ. But thank God that I am raised up with Christ and seated with him in the heavenly realms. I know I’m not perfect yet…but I’m getting there…and one day I will be what I am not now. In the meantime, I’m sure my friend will point out more of my faults. But I know he doesn’t judge me. He only means me good, not harm, even though it hurts. The way I look at it is, if your friends can’t and don’t help you grow in Christ, who will?

3 comments:

JT said...

A couple of things have happened recently that have made me wonder a few thing about myself. If I run them by you will you be honest with me sometime, Missy?

JT

David said...

Of course I will JT.
The honest answer is 'yes, you DO look like Ted Danson.'

Anonymous said...

Encouraging words.
I think we all need that but it doesnt happen nearly enough...or at least as far as i can tell...
But I am encouraged to hear that it is, and your humble response!