Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Discipleship Training

Currently I've instigated a training course upon my unsuspecting parishoners- Preparing Just for Starters, produced by Matthias Media. Its a great course, teaching people how to follow up new Christians in the basics of Christianity.

So much of what we are being taught in our training days is to start up new ministries as a key to growth. Doing something like Preparing Just for Starters encourages people to meet up with other Christians to teach them the basics of Christianity. The course is based on 7 'basic' Bible studies. Already 2 people are starting to meet up with others. Such discipleship is essential to growing churches.

Another advantage is that it teaches people in the parish a 'philosophy of ministry'. I've been thinking about this lately. Everyone has their own philosophy of ministry. I suppose mine is that one-to-one ministry is the essential backbone of the church. The more one-to-one ministry relationships that are taking place behind the scenes, the stronger the church is, and the more equipped it is to grow. The reason why churches often don't grow is because they don't grow beyond their capacity to equip and care for its people. Learning to disciple new Christians is an important key in the future growth of any church.

Any, just some random ramblings. I'm trying to blurt out what I know about one-to-one ministry to my parishoners to enthuse and encourage them to be involved in this essential work! After all, we are all priests; we are all ministers.

Pray God would use this new training venture to grow His church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Where have you been all my life? I've been emailing you...I hope you're alright.

Lady Grey said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog but I'm confused as to where I should reply...Do I post on your blog and risk you never visiting mine or do I only leave comments on mine so you have to read the replies on mine and so risking that I will not visit yours?
The whole thing is very confusing!
How are you by the way?