Friday, November 03, 2006

A Victim of Adultery

The following is a true story.

I passed a woman on the street in the city this morning. I know her husband cheated on her. Don’t ask me how I know her husband cheated on her, I just know. Trust me. I have good sources. She looked sad. I could see it on her face, but she couldn’t. She just looked at me as I walked by, kind of sad, kind of down. I’m sure she knew the relationship wasn’t what she thought it should be. I wonder if she blamed herself. I’m sure she knew something was up, but couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was. Perhaps she even blames herself.

I wanted to tell her. I wanted to scream at her. ‘Don’t you know your husband cheated on you? Don’t you know he doesn’t want you to know?’ But obviously I didn’t. Its none of my business really. I’m not the moral police here.

Then I thought of the husband. What a terrible slavery to be part of for the rest of your life. To know you’ve done the dirty on your wife, and not to tell her. Now, who am I to throw stones. Goodness knows I’m no better. But it does make you stop and think- how wonderful it is to be saved- to walk in the light. To be able to freely admit your sin and to bask in God’s acceptance of you. To know that we are sinful, yet we are free to admit it. To God, yourself and each other.

How sad and pathetic it is to be hiding from each other, covering over our sins- especially from the people we love. This is slavery. This is ugly. This is why Christ died. And these are the things that Judgement Day will reveal and will leave us who have not been washed by the blood of the Lamb prostrate with embarrassment and shame.

4 comments:

Geoff said...

Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief.

(Prov.14:12-14)

Psalm 42 has something to say...

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like freedom.
Nothing in the universe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lady Grey said...

There is nothing like freedom.
Nothing in the universe.
Little Musician