Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Australia 3, Japan 1

So I did watch the soccer last night between Australia & Japan. But I am kicking myself now that I decided that it was too late to keep watching, and as a result I missed all the fun in the last 8 minutes when we won 3-1.

But people- let's get some perspective here. The Socceroos are not going to win the World Cup. This is only Round 1. One newspaper called this victory the 'greatest sporting moment in Australian history'. Wait a minute- what about Phar Lap? What about Makaby Deva? What about Cathy Freeman? Or the America's Cup? Stephen Bradford? My latest trip to the gym (my mother would be proud anyway...)

10 comments:

JT said...

I went to bed in the last 10 mintues too!!! Then I heard all these cheers from the common room so I switched it back on AFTER the second goal. I felt so ripped off!

Maybe we can get some gym time together this hols?

JT

Anonymous said...

Mate, whenever people ask me what the greatest sporting moment in history was, I will tell them it was when the Schnitzel went to the gym.

In fact, I'll try & work it into conversation at morning tea today!

TCG.><>.

Anonymous said...

typical Aussie sports fans - give up on the team before the end! I've noticed it happen at every rugby game we've been to in Australia...

Us "kiwis" have learnt to stick it out to the VERY END - I saw the last 8mins ;-P

Anyway, your visits to the gym definitely count as great sporting achievements! :-)

Anonymous said...

And what about Todd Woodbridge and his record breaking 83 doubles titles???

David said...

JT- lets DEFINITELY go to the gym dude! I'm in!

Shannyn said...

What about when Australia beat America in the 1999 Baseball Intercontinental Cup! We beat them at their own game man!

JT said...

Is that true SHannyn?? That is actually pretty impressive!

Scott M said...

Who is Todd Woodbridge?

Anonymous said...

Am I a bad person for not knowing most of those names at the end?

Kat said...

Enjoy the game tonight! --it'll be fun watching brazil... i mean aussie 'kick' some butt! i mean balls... i mean... wait-a-minute...

;)