Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bludging on God's Grace

Today my neighbour saw me at the local Orange Blossom festival, a huge community event in our shire, and he asked me to explain to him what it means to be a Christian.

He said 'I was reading your article in the local newspaper and you said that to be a Christian you have to be a bludger (do nothing)...my understanding is that God helps those who help themselves...so I would like to understand why you say you must do nothing!'

I was basically describing that the way of salvation is by faith, not works...by God's grace, not our own efforts. Tomorrow I plan to share the gospel with him after lunch, via Ephesians 2:8-9

'For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.' (ESV)

So please pray for me as I share the gospel, and for him as he listens and understands. God can even grant repentance to 80-something-year-old-Romanian-men! I don't share this to parade this opportunity, just to humbly ask for your prayers for my next door neighbour. And rejoice that God doesn't help those who help themselves. He helps those who allow Him to do ALL the work in saving us. All we can do is bludge on his generosity.


3 comments:

Scott M said...

What a great opportunity!

Have prayed for you both and will continue to pray for you over the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Am praying.

I love that the woman begging in the photo is smiling. It's as if someone just wispered in her ear that she is beautiful. I remember when my soul was nothing more than filthy rags, and my Savior looked at me and said "I have made you beautiful . . . a vessel of worth."

Geoff said...

"Nothing in my hands I bring... simply to thy cross I cling..."

Thanks brother. Will definietly pray for you that God continues to use you in your community to bring the good news of Jesus!

I'm up in Brisvagus at the moment... and would appreciate your prayers for an opportunity to talk to my n/c friend and his fiance who are getting married this w/e. I'm seeing them tonight!

Looking forward to catching up again once I'm back in Sydney.