Saturday, December 08, 2007

It's OK, you can swear!

I’m back. I’ve been away for a little bit, and plan to keep posting here. But in the meantime kiddies you can sit back, grab a coffee and read on, dear reader.

I’ve sustained a jogging injury which I’ve had for a few years now, and decided for my next plan of attack to visit a chiropractor. While I was lying face down on the bench, having the chiropractor poke my stiff muscles, he called in his assistant to do the massaging.

Now when someone massages me (and I’ve had a few) my preference is to at least meet them. But alas, I was not afforded this opportunity since, as I said, I was lying face down.

The girl just came in and just started massaging me as she was chatting to me. We were talking about muscle groups and the Bay run, among other things. She also studied anatomy at NatureCare, where I used to do some casual teaching so I could pay the bills whilst at Bible college. The funny thing was how at ease she seemed to be. Her talk was casual and unguarded. She was swearing like a trooper as she talked to me. She was saying ‘s&^% yeah’ to this and ‘effin’ oath’ to that. The conversation was quite jolly. Obviously she had done this many times. And then she asked me ‘so what do you do?’

I knew the conversation was about to change.

‘I work for a church’

‘Really?? What do you do there?’

(After all, maybe I mowed the grass and trimmed the hedges)

‘I am a minister’

I could hear her brain thinking back over all the expletives that she had used within the last five minutes.

‘That’s quite a change…’

‘Yeah’ (me agreeing)

‘What made you decide to do that?’

Now before I continue, can I just admit that I’ve never come up with a clever answer to this question? I mean, an knock-out answer which will make the best use of having a good gospel conversation. Once I said to a whole church (answering the same question) ‘because there is a heaven and there is a hell, and everyone is going to one place or the other’. I also once said to a hairdresser ‘so I can help people know about Jesus’. And this time? Well I paused for some moment. (Put it down to the massage I was clearly enjoying).

‘Because I want people to think through the big questions in life. About knowing God’

She politely agreed.

The conversation didn’t really go anywhere after that.

But it made me think that the world really does put us ministers into a different box than everyone else. I feel as though they don’t know what to do with us. Sometimes even I don’t know what to do with me! But it’s interesting that the world feels the need to stop swearing and behave around me! Perhaps they feel judged, or guilty. Maybe even unholy.

Whatever it is, I wished she felt as though she could be herself. I wanted her to keep swearing at me! I wanted her to be at ease. I wished the conversation could go on. I wished she could know I’m just like her- I’m a sinner in need of grace too! I wanted to stay in the same box as her, and not be put in a different box.

Stay tuned, I'm going back on Monday.

In the meantime, help me out. What would you say if someone asked you ‘what do you do?’ and you are seeking to share the gospel with them?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I have struggled with this same issue with my hairdresser, physio, and butcher - all of whom I have semi-regular to regular contact.

I have taken a similar approach in that you've simply stated why you do what you do, and pray for and rely upon future ongoing opportunities to share Jesus with them.

I take great comfort in knowing that God will save the elect; yes he uses us, but his election and saving of his people isn't dependent on our efforts. Including how polished our answers are to our hairdressers.

I shall pray for you today as you head back to your physio that you may have another opportunity to speak words of life. Go gettem' tiger!

Matt
www.jollymonk.com

JT said...

Funny you should mention that - at our 10yr high school reunion the other week it was my job that allowed me to have a stack of gospel conversations :-)
I suppose when people knew you before you go into ministry then they might be more curious as to why and feel more comforatble to ask you. but when you're off the street it just shuts them down... I hate that!! Or when you say you're Christian and that shuts down conversation about God - that sucks too!!

I don't know quite what the answer is, but it seems to me if you were able to communicate just what you did in this post it would've made all the difference. They might have put you on the oppostie side to them, but if you stay on their side in your own approach maybe that helps?

Ok, so to put myself out there, here's an attempt at an answer to get the ball rolling:

Them: 'SO what made you decide to do that?"

Me: 'I've done stuff wrong like everybody else, I just love the forgiveness that God offers'

OR

Me: 'I just want people to know about the forgiveness that is out there for people'

Hard not to sound corny on a blog comment, but you get the gist.

Cool blog topic Danger Mouse

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have sworn back at her to get her confidence back. Something like "Because hell will be a s#*t alful place to be and I want to prevent as many people going there as I can" or "Because Jesus is f#*%ing awesome and I reckon people should meet Him".
But then you would be too much like me and that would be creepy :)