Sunday, January 15, 2006

Should I stay or should I go?

Last week I spent the week at CMS Summer School. I find it so challenging when I hear about missionaries who have given up so much to go overseas to take the gospel to places where it hasn't been taken. Its especially challenging when I know a lot of these missionaries personally. These are people that I was on a mission team with in Sydney's suburb of Liverpool- a hot, unattractive, ethnic suburb. These are people just like me who love their family, love living in Sydney, and love doing ministry. So why shouldn't I go?

Well to be honest, I can't think of a good reason. Except that I love my family. I love my city. I want the security of owning my own home one day. The thought of struggling with another language for a few years terrifies me. I get lonely, even here in Sydney. Am I emotionally capable? Am I thick skinned enough? I have just become an uncle. There are so many maybe's at the moment...

But what it boils down to is that there is a great need outside of Sydney for people to hear the gospel. Without Jesus, people are going to hell. And God has blessed me with a Polish heritage and I have a heart for seeing them saved. In my heart of hearts I really want to be a missionary. Pray for me. And pray for Poland.

1 comment:

JT said...

Wow Dave, it's a hard push on both sides isn't it? So much keeping you here, but undeniable facts of eternity pressing you to go. I have, and will, pray for you (and Poland), mate.