Monday, July 03, 2006

Ode to Keppel

Disclaimer- the following blog is not intended to represent the worship of creation, but rather to celebrate its beauty.

I'm home now from Great Keppel Island, but my mind is still there. And so, dear friends, a tribute. No, more than a tribute: an ode to the island that is Great Keppel.

As the sun adorns Keppel
I will dream of thee as one dares to dream
Of a place now in the recesses of my mind.
Where time stood still
Yet eternity was witnessed in your starry expanses and vast horizons.
Where people forget
And remember that haven you offer.

Shadowy declines ease to sandy plains crowned by coral.
Renewing blue waters and calming bushlands whisper that same sweetness: 'hush!'
Commanding coastlands and unattainable depth beckons dangerously.
The wonder of your beaches alone
Do not justify their isolation.
I would embrace them in a moment!

Your distant sisters remind me
I float in a sea of isolation,
Almost like a prison.
Yet your serenity liberates me.
Nonetheless I am captivated.
You are fed from without.
You feed me from within.

I do not even hold your lighthouse against you Keppel,
For you Keppel, can do me no wrong.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! Looks like quite the vacation! I'm gonna have to figure out where this place is...

Shannyn said...

I LOVE the line about the lighthouse.

JT said...

Dave, I love you man.

"Where people forget
and remember that haven you offer"
- that's gold! The heavens declare the glory of God, but only those who understand Christ will really praise God when they see his creation. That's a great line, and a great poem, nice one.

JT