Sunday, January 14, 2007

2 Funerals and 3 sermons later

Well, its been a heck of a week. Awesome teaching at Summer School which made me again reflect that discipleship is costly. There is no point in following Jesus if you aren't willing to make sacrifices. Jesus didn't call us to live comfy, fluffy lives...he calls us to take up our cross and follow him.

Perhaps for me these words were reinforced by the reality of death. One speaker even said (even though I didn't hear this talk) "ministry is all about preparing people for death".

You see, I took 2 funerals this week- one on Monday (my first funeral, since starting out in paid ministry), and another on Thursday (which involved a double burial). I would have had to do a third one, but I asked one of our retired ministers to take it.

Funerals take a lot of emotional energy. Its certainly not one of the joys of ministry! I never met the people that I buried. But I still felt a deep sense of loss for their families. Funerals remind me how much I hate death. I hate how death robs me of relationships with people I love. Death leaves me thinking I wish I could speak to that person again. Death reminds me how broken our world is. And yet again, I'm reminded at how unnatural death is even though our world accepts it as normal. Death causes me to long for the new heavens and new earth, the home of righteousness, where death will have finally lost its sting. Maranatha!!!

But we aren't in the home of righteousness yet. Death is alive in our world. I remember taking the first funeral and thinking 'what possible hope can I possibly give to these people? How hopeless!!' But hope is not mine to give. Only Christ can give hope. All I can do is explain what he has said about life and death.

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." (John 11:25-26)

"I AM the resurrection and the life!" By the end of the week, I had preached 3X on this great passage (including Sunday night's sermon). And each time I was excited that even though death is alive in our world, Jesus Christ has returned from the grave. Resurrection is not a thing. Resurrection is a person. There is hope for us all! And when you are dead, its too late to hear this!

I do hate death. With a passion. But I'm glad that One before me has faced all the hell and horrors of death so that I don't have to. And this message of the resurrection is worth leaving families and countries, crossing cultures, learning languages, and even dying for, just so people can hear it.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your view Misty and while I can understand it I don't know whether I can share the hatred of death that you have. Death can be and is a blessing at times.....as well as this its not the end of anything if you are a christian.

To put this into context... My grandma died aged 99 this last week gone. I know I will never be able to speak to her again or laugh at her sense of humour - but I hadn't been able to do that for about 6 years since she started to lose her memory and her mind. The last couple of years she has been in constant pain and so for me death is a blessing for her.... sure I'll not see her in my life on this earth again and that makes me sad BUT I do know that she is now in heaven with the Lord who has defeated death.

Death is a part of every humans life but I see it rather as something not to be hated but rather almost looked to joyfully (sounds weird...) as it will be the time that we are called into Heaven to be with the one who created and loves us no matter what we do.

For non christians who have no assurance such as we have then death is a much sadder and mor painful thing but for those of us who know the Lord it holds momentary sadness that is replaced with an assurance that we are being called home....

kinda rambly and I apologise for that but my point is death is not something to be hated, saddened momentarily yes, but not hated.

JT said...

HAHA - CPR, i love it!!!

As for your post, I'm on the 'hate it' side, though i can take the point above.

Death is the result of sin, it is not the solution. So also is sickness. Death isn't the ultimate answer to sickness, our new spiritual bodies are, secured by Christ's resurrection.

Death is also not the only window to Heaven, for some will see Christ return before they die won't they?

Of course, it is better to depart by far - but that doesn't mean I have to like death. As a Christian I can have hope in spite of death, not be overjoyed because of it. I still don't want to live in a world of death, so bring on the fulfilment of the Kingdom.

I don't want to see anyone in prolonged suffering for any reason (and I've seen a fair bit of it), but I don't think death is our refuge. Death is the sad end to a body decaying due to sin. That God gives us reason for hope in the midst of this is out of this world. I want life, I want the end of death. I don't think you'll disagree with that though.

I'm glad your grandma is out of pain, but I still don't like death. I don't know, i doubt we really disagree that much. Anyhoo...

Likes your sermon anyway Dave!

Chelsea Taylor said...

Hey!
I came to your blog through JT's - hope u dont mind!

I love your thoughts in this post brother!
I was also at SUmmer School (amazing week!) and heard Taylor's talk which you refer to here. It was great - if you can, get hold of it and have a listen!
I was incredibly challenged when he pointed out that in what I was doing there (leading kids) was preparing them for death! Far out! Scary thought! But so true!

I love that you said "Resurrection is not a thing. Resurrection is a person" though - that is great and so true and just holds so much promise of hope to it doesnt it!

Anywho...I am with you on the hate of death too...
I once gave a talk on this though...in which i said that one of the things that is great about being a Christian is no longer needing to fear death, because that death has been defeated! All we have now is life, and life as it is meant to be! Where can the fear be in that?!

However...I do still fear death...but not for me, but for those who do not know Jesus! Cos as you said, without Him there is no hope!

I guess you're right though - what other response can we have but to be motivated to share the news of this hope?!
man that makes SO much sense doesnt it!?! hehe
If we're afraid of what that means why dont we do all in our power (given us by Him) to help prevent it?!
Bring it on!! :)

David said...

Thanks for your comments guys- death is an awful event- without Jesus. But with Jesus, death is but a gateway to further life. I still hate death- but only because I can't see now what I will see one day.

Unknown said...

"And this message of the resurrection is worth leaving families and countries, crossing cultures, learning languages, and even dying for, just so people can hear it."

You bet! So Dave - I take it last week refired your enthusiasm for Mission - it certainly added extra fuel to mine...

Bring it on! Cant wait to see how God uses us both now and in the future.

Matt