Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy 36th Anniversary Mum and Dad!!

Can I just say how thankful I am to God for my parents. I happen to think I have the nicest parents in the world. I couldn't have been given better parents if I picked them myself. But then again, I'm biased.

Tonight was their 36th wedding anniversary. I went out to dinner with them tonight to celebrate. In my adult years, I have grown closer to my parents, and grown to enjoy them as friends. I enjoy our conversations and shared memories that we have. Where I have been, they have been. They understand more than anyone the experiences I have had in life because they have shared them with me.

I hope that if I get married someday, that my marriage will be like theirs. What I mean is, I pray I will have the strength to be gracious and forgiving when I'm married, just like they are with each other. I used to think that once I am married things would be perfect. Well I've learnt my lesson. I've learnt a lot from my parent's marriage. Its not perfect. Sure they are different. Sure they have their fights. Sure they don't always see eye to eye. But they are forever patient with one another, forever enduring, forever forgiving. (Newsflash- isn't that the Bible's description of love? ala 1 Cor 13...) Surely this is what marriage is all about.

But at the heart of their marriage is faithfulness. There is no fear in their relationship because it is based on trust. It is secure. It is for life.

Here is a quote from Christopher Ash's book (Marriage: Sex in the Service of God) which I think reflects my parent's marriage (and is in my humble opinion THE book to read on marriage):

'Marriage [...] means being forgiving and patient and showing forbearance towards the other when they fail to give us what is promised or implied in marriage. Marriage is both an obligation and a grace, giving and forgiving.' (Ash, 2003, p365).

The grace of marriage...Happy Anniversary Mum and Dad!

No comments: