Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Egg Cream- where have you been all my life??

Thanks to the West Wing, I’ve recently discovered Egg cream. And being so hot here, its such a nice way to cool off in the afternoon...

Its a drink that New Yorkers drink. It has neither egg nor cream in it, but consists of:-
-Soda water
-Milk
-your best chocolate syrup… (thankfully, I was given heaps of this for Christmas!)

Mix those all together and voila! Your very own egg cream drink, courtesy of NYC. And as President Bartlet says, "I'm drinking the most fantastic thing I've ever tasted in my life! Chocolate syrup, cold milk, and seltzer. I know it sounds terrible, but trust me, I don't know where this has been all my life!"

Just curious- if any of my American friends still read this, do you actually make this? Or am I just overly Americanized??? (and isn’t that Americanised in America???)


In my mind, this is part of the fun of cooking. Its knowing what goes together and doesn't. Knowing that tomato and basil are partners, but tomato and ice cream just won't do it (although I did try this once as a kid). And then there are the experimental cooks who discover that orange and chocolate work well together to make jaffa; soda water, milk and chocolate syrup all work together to make a yummy drink!

PS I now have a blender. Mango and banana smoothies for breaky!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO WAY! EggCreams!?!?! My dad (who spent all but the past 15 years of his life in the Bronx) has told me so much about them! I didn't think anyone made them anymore!
HA HA HA!!! I love it! I truely haven't heard of anyone drinking them since the 50's. But hey, a good thing should never die, right??
Think the EggCream is good, if you ever come visit, I'll make you a Milton . . . one sip and you'll think the EggCream tastes like Fosters. (okay, I don't think anything can taste as bad as Fosters . . . oh, speaking of Fosters, the other day on the radio, Preston&Steve were talking about ParisHilton being in Sydney as the face of some Australian beer . . . they all seemed to think it was Fosters. I had to laugh to myself. We're such global-idiots, hey!?!?!)

Anonymous said...

I guess it could work, if spiders work then why not egg creams?