Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Game on: Euthanasia

It seems as though euthanasia is back on the agenda in public debate. A private member's Bill is being introduced by the Green's Senator, and if the passing of the stem cell research Bill is anything to go by, Christians need to stand up and speak out against this.

I decided to send a letter to the Sydney Morning Herald this morning. I've never had a letter published, but even if its not, it gives the Herald a sample of the public's view on such matters. Especially when they report that most of the letters they have received on the matter are in favour of voluntary euthanasia.

For what it's worth, here's my letter:

Dear Editor,

I heartily agree with Dr Frith (letters Jan 30) that it is a terrible thing to watch a loved one die. I heartily disagree that euthanasia is the answer. How dare we say that because we find it hard to watch people die that an assisted death is the answer!

Giving people the option of euthanasia will cause them to think they are burdens to us. Dying with dignity means giving people a sense of love and respect when they die. And not making them think they are a burden to be snuffed out.

This ultimately sends the message that we think that people are expendable. And this will cause the dying to think of themselves as having already expired before their use-by date. Telling people that they are better off dead is not the answer. Ironically, this actually reduces autonomy rather than gives people autonomy.


What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again this is a fairly difficult subject with no real right or wrong as I can see it... death and peoples/animals rights usually are I find.

I tender this piece for you....

A "creature" was lying in its bed suffering terrible arthritis. Given painkillers it settled down and managed to sleep for a few hours before waking to renewed pain that could not be fixed. The creature was basically bed ridden with bad arthritis, inopereable cancer and no chance of recovering, it was also in pain 99% of the time (without pain killers).

Now here comes the interesting part... note I have not mentioned that it was either animal nor human... Think what you would do if it were an animal... and now what would you do if it was a human....

Do your opinions differ? And if they do why?

I am yet to find a convincing argument either way that satisfies all my concerns that stem from both sides.

I don't think it is a blanket thing that sends a message that people are expendable but neither do I think that ending someones life early is always the correct/right/godly thing to do.

Anonymous said...

That a great letter Dave, let me know if it gets published

David said...

Unfortunately, there were no letters on euthanasia in the paper the next day...

Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . I was thinking about this earlier today. There is a horse that is famous in the Philly area, he was euthanized yesterday. I currently have a patient with advanced cancer, one tumor is on his spine, causing paraplegia, they believe it has metastasized to several of his organs as well as his brain. It seems so natural that we end the pain and suffering off animals . . . I confess I have often wondered when does the quality of the living being done out weigh the quantity?? I'm just thankful that the Lord has enabled me to be in a position where I can help individuals who are suffering to maintain their dignity and to continue participating in life. And isn't that what He has called us all to do, as His heirs?? To facilitate an understanding of eternal life . . . to explain the hope of grace in a world of pain and death!!
Won't it be great to never have to watch someone die . . . someday.