Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Meaning of Boxing Day

I know Boxing Day was a few days ago but something happened that I would like to share. Something that makes my blood boil. We (Jodie, Franco, the kids and I) were driving back from visiting our cousins in Kurrajong, with full tummies, in a full car, when we saw a girl walking by the road, thumbing for a ride, out in the middle of no where. At first I thought she looked like she was in her underwear. As we passed her, we spent some time discussing whether or not we could stop for her, because we had a full car. Thoughts crossed through our head- was she drunk? On drugs? In trouble? Eventually I spun the car around, and we pulled up beside her. Jodie wound down the window and said to her, 'Are you OK?'

The girl burst into tears and explained to us that her boyfriend had kicked her out of the car because she wouldn't sleep with him. She didn't even have a clue where she was. (And what I thought was her underwear was actually her gym equipment!) She needed a lift home to a nearby suburb. We explained that we were Christians, and offered to give her a lift. She calmed down after that, and told us that her boyfriend (they were both 17) had said to her that he had waited 5 years for her to sleep with him, and he couldn't wait any longer. Goodness knows what he was thinking when he was 12 years old!

The girl told us she had prayed for someone to come along. And even though God used us to 'answer' her prayer, if you think of it pray that God may use this incident for her salvation.

When I think about this boyfriend, and his total lack of love for his girlfriend, and what I felt like doing if ever I met this so-called 'boyfriend' of hers, it kind of gave a new spin on the meaning of 'Boxing Day'.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buddy, Good work on picking up the girl...That was nice of you. Man, I'm so jealous. Seriously, I want to be in your home right now. On my little air mattress. Making tea in your kitchen. And taking a shower in your pink bathroom. Man, seriously. I want a visit. I hope you're doing great.

David said...

Pink bathroom?

Anonymous said...

David has a pink bathroom? Way to show your sensitive side my friend. :-)

Great story. That poor girl...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... and Happy New Year to you too!

Anonymous said...

Dave. Great post. Compassion and passion - that's what we love about you.

SM

Anonymous said...

that is a really moving story.... i aint christian but stuff like that makes me want to be...

David said...

Believe me, the message of Christianity is much more moving than picking up a lone hitch hiker. Thanks for joining us anonymous!

David said...

Excellent post and reminds me of the good Samaritan. Its encouraging when people do the right thing....